Apple Classroom is a feature set released as part of iOS 9.3 which enables iOS devices to be more robustly managed in an education environment. This article will discuss how to configure Systems Manager to deploy Classroom configurations via the Education payload on the Systems Manager > MDM > Settings page.
Classroom requirements can be found here.
Populate the Users Table
Before Apple Classroom can be configured, we need to import all of the end users.
- Navigate to Systems Manager > Configure > Owners.
- Select the ASM Import/Sync ASM button under the Owner management table:
- Click the Import button to add users from DEP:
- Navigate to Systems Manager > MDM > Settings, select your profile for Apple Classroom (create one if it doesn't already exist) then select the Education payload.
- Select the Use ASM (Apple School Manager) users checkbox.
(OPTIONAL) Populate the Device Groups Table
The Device Groups table can be used to define select groups of devices. If you choose not to define any Device Groups, all Groups defined in the Education payload will be available to all devices scoped for the profile.
- Identifier: Display name for the Device Group (visible to the user in the Classroom app).
- Device Group Name: Internal name for the Device Group (used for configuration in Systems Manager).
- Serial Numbers: Comma-separated list of the device serial numbers which will become members of this Device Group.
Populate the Groups Table
The groups table is used to define specific Classroom Groupings, and map them to students, teachers, and Device Groups (if applicable).
- Display Name: Display name for the Group (visible to the user in the Classroom app).
- Description: Description of the Group.
- Members: List of Apple IDs (from the Users table above) to be members of this Group. This is roughly analogous to 'Students.'
- Leaders: List of Apple ID(s) (from the Users table above) to be the leader(s) of this Group. This is roughly analogous to 'Teachers.'
- Devices (OPTIONAL): Device Groups which can be used for the Group.
Leaders cannot be defined as members of any group in an Education Payload.
(OPTIONAL) Populate the Departments table
The Departments table can be used to organize Groups inside the Classroom App. This table is strictly for organizational purposes, it has no other function in the Classroom App.
- Invalid Configuration error when opening the Classroom App
- The Classroom app is for controlling member (e.g. student) devices and is for leaders (e.g. teachers) only. It will not work on member devices.
- Device requirements can be found here.
- iOSiOS 9.3 or later is required for the education payload.
- The education payload was successfully installed, but member devices aren't showing up as online.
- Devices using Apple Classroom communicate over WiFi. If wireless clients are isolated or cannot 'see' each other over wireless, then they will not be able to connect using Apple Classroom.
- Initial discovery for devices using Apple Classroom will be done over Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), then will communicate over WiFi. Devices need to be within Bluetooth range with Bluetooth enabled to initiate device communication.
The following video walks through configuration of the Apple Classroom app in Systems Manager: