Customers can extend expiration dates by purchasing additional license time by queuing unused licenses in their inventory to a device. You can assign an additional license to a device that already has an existing license. This additional license is called queued license as it will be queued to an existing active license. This queued license is not active/burning but will become active when the first license on the device expires or the pre-activation period (90 days) is over.
Previously, the customer had seven days to undo the queued license action. After that time, the licenses (first and queued) will "merge" and they cannot be separated.
For example, a customer has a device with one year remaining and applies an additional one-year license to this device making the total term of the license two years. After seven days(merge period), the customer cannot move the one-year license and must move all the remaining license time (two years) to an unlicensed device/product.
To unassign the queued license post-merge period, customers would have to call or open a case with Meraki Support
Now, customers can unassign their queued licenses post seven days on the dashboard without engaging with Support!
- You can only queue licenses that are inactive and unused.
- Inactive & Unassociated (Unused) - A license is not associated with a device and has not started to burn. This typically happens when the pre-activation period (90 days) is not over
- For example, if a device had a license with 6 months remaining and you had another license that was active (8 months remaining), you could not "stack" it on the license with 6 months remaining
To understand more about licensing states in PDL, please refer to this KB.
- You can only unassign a queued license from the queue if the head of the queue is currently assigned to a device.
- Once the queued license is unassigned from the queue, if the license has passed the 90 day activation window, it will be automatically activated. In this state, the license can only be applied to a device that does not have an active license (e.g. a new device).
Unassigning a Queued License on the dashboard
Login to the dashboard, and navigate to the License info page. On the Devices tab, you should see "Licenses". If you have queued a license or multiple licenses then it should show the count in this column
If you don't see "Licenses" on the devices page, Please enable "licenses" by clicking on the toolbox "Select Columns" on the far right of the page
To unassign, click on the unassign button next to the queued license. Once you click unassign, it will confirm your action. Click unassign to confirm.
- You cannot unassign SM seats on the dashboard. If you wish to unassign SM seats, contact the licensing support team at email@example.com or generate a dashboard case.