It is possible to pre-configure network policies for client devices in wireless and combined networks, prior to those devices connecting. In order to apply a network policy to a client device, the MAC address of this client is needed.
Follow these steps in order to successfully pre-configure network policies for client devices:
- Navigate to the clients list.
For combined networks: Network-wide > Monitor > Clients.
For MR (wireless) networks: Monitor > Clients.
- Click the Add client button along the right side of the page, above the client list.
- In the form that appears, provide the following:
- (Optional) Name - The name the client(s) will have as its 'Description' in the client list. Leave empty for automatic detection/assignment.
- MAC addresses - Provider at least one MAC address to apply the selected policy to. If entering multiple addresses, use one per line. MAC addresses can be provided in a number of formats, some examples of which are shown above.
- Select the policy to apply. This will be applied to all of the MAC addresses provided.
Note: Selecting 'Normal' will not result in the client being added to the client list, as this is the default for new clients.
- Click Add clients.
To view a list of clients that have been pre-configured, but not yet seen on the network, choose to show all clients with a policy. If a client doesn't appear immediately, the page may need to be refreshed first.
To remove a pre-configured (and unseen) client from the list, change its policy to Normal.