When using Apple VPP Managed Distribution, it is possible to create and invite large numbers of users at once by uploading a CSV (Comma Separated Value) file to Dashboard containing the required information. This allows administrators to generate invitations to large numbers of users based on pre-existing information.
The CSV can contain 3 fields:
- Email: The e-mail address the invitation will be sent to. This is required. Rows without this will be ignored.
- Name: The name of the user.
- Notes: Optional notes regarding the user.
These three fields should also be included in the first row of the CSV file, as column headers. Each user should be on a separate line, with each value separated by a comma. Any additional fields will be ignored. The only commas present can be used to separate the rows and cannot be used as part of any field values.
firstname.lastname@example.org,User 1,An example user
email@example.com,User 2,Another example user
While multiple ways exist to create the CSV file, the easiest is using Microsoft Excel, or an equivalent spreadsheet application. Simply enter the data like shown in the screenshot below, and then save the file in ".csv" format. This will automatically structure the file as indicated in the previous paragraph.
To upload the CSV and import the users:
- Navigate to Systems Manager > Manage > VPP > User management.
- Click Upload from CSV.
- Click Upload a CSV file, then click Choose File.
- Browse to and open/upload the desired CSV file.
- If desired, check the box to Send invitations automatically. If not done now, this can be performed manually later.
- Click Import.
The imported users will now appear in the users list, as either New or Invited, dependent on whether invitations were sent.