Before Cisco Meraki devices can be monitored and configured, they must first be added to a network in Dashboard. This article will cover how to add devices to networks in Dashboard, as well as how to remove them later if needed.
For information on claiming and unclaiming Cisco Meraki devices, reference the article on Using Organization Inventory.
Adding Devices to Networks
While there are multiple ways devices can be added to a network, this section will outline the simplest process that applies to all devices and network types. Before beginning, create a network if one doesn't already exist.
Note: Only one MX or Z1 can be in a network unless two MXes are used in an HA pair. Adding more than one device type to a network will automatically convert that network to a combined network.
- Select the network devices should be added to.
Note: Only administrators with multiple organizations will see the organization drop-down.
- Navigate to Network-wide > Configure > Add devices.
- (Optional) Use the search box above the device list to find devices by model, serial number, etc.
- Check the boxes next to any devices that should be added.
If the desired devices are not listed, they may need to be claimed first.
- Click Add <device_type>. In this case, Add devices.
- The device(s) will then be added to the network and become available for monitoring and configuration.
Removing Devices from Networks
Sometimes devices need to be removed from networks in Dashboard. This can be as part of a replacement, moving to a different organization, or various other reasons. The exact process for this differs by device type.
For MR Series, MS Series, MC series, MV series, or legacy products
- Select the network containing the device(s).
- Navigate to the device list page.
- Wireless > Monitor > Access points for wireless networks.
- Switch > Monitor > Switches for switch networks.
- Phones > Monitor > Phones for phone networks.
- Cameras > Monitor > Cameras for camera networks. Note that removing a camera from a network will delete all its video.
- Click the checkboxes next to any devices that should be removed.
- Click Edit, then Remove from Network.
- The device(s) will disappear from list.
For MX Series or Z products
- Select the network containing the device.
- Navigate to the Security appliance > Monitor > Appliance status page.
- Click Remove appliance from network...
- Verify the Serial Number matches the device you wish to remove, and then press Remove.
- The device will be removed from the network.
For MXes in a Warm Spare Configuration
- Select the network containing the device
- Navigate to Security Appliance > Appliance Status
- Click on the "Warm Spare" button located below the MX location address on the left
- Set Warm Spare to "Enabled"
- Select the Warm Spare device serial number
- Select "Use virtual uplink IPs" or "Use the MX uplink IPs"
- Click "Update"