Dashboard networks provide a way to logically group and configure Cisco Meraki access points, security appliances, switches, and Systems Manager within an organization. Devices in the same network can be configured and monitored in the same way. Dashboard networks are also a useful way to separate physically distinct sites within an organization. This Knowledge Base article describes how to create and delete networks.
Note: Creating and deleting networks requires full organization permissions.
Creating a Network
A network holds devices and information related to those devices. A network can contain any number of access points or switches, but only a single security appliance, VM concentrator, or instance of Systems Manager.
As an organization administrator, hover over the Organization tab, then select Create network.
Enter a Name for the network. Make sure this clearly identifies the purpose of this network. Such as 'HQ - Appliance'.
- Select the Network type.
- Wireless - Contains only wireless access points (ex. MR series).
- Security appliance - Contains a single security appliance or teleworker gateway (ex. MX series or Z1). Can also contain an HA pair of MX appliances.
- Switch - Contains only switches (ex. MS series).
- Phone - Contains only phones (ex. MC series).
- Combined hardware - Can contain a combination of different device types. Useful for locations with each type of device.
Note: A combined network consists of multiple network types combined into one. If only one type of device is added to a combined network at the time of creation, the network will be of that device type. Please refer to our documentation for more information about combined networks.
- EMM - Systems Manager enterprise mobility management network.
- Select the Configuration .
- Use default - Creates the network with all default settings.
- Clone from network - If another network of this Type is available, most network and configuration settings can be copied. If the source network type is different, it will override the selection above.
- Bind to template - This network will have minimal local settings, with most configuration determined by the selected template. Learn more in the article on templates.
(Optional) In the Devices section, check the box for any devices that should be added to the network. If no devices exist in the inventory, click Claim and enter the serial or order numbers to add them.
Note: Unless the Type of "Combined" was selected, only devices matching the network Type selected above will be added.
Click Create network.
We highly recommend having the total switch count in any dashboard network to be less than or equal to 400 switches. If switch count exceeds 400 switches, it is likely to slow down the loading of the network topology/ switch ports page or result in display of inconsistent output.
Deleting a Network
Networks can be deleted when they are no longer needed. The devices from the network will remain in the organization's inventory and can later be added to new networks. Follow the steps below to delete a network.
Note: It is not possible to delete a network if it has billing transactions associated with it.
Navigate to Organization > Overview.
Along the right side, click on the arrow button to view the full list of networks within the organization.
Click the checkbox next to any networks that should be deleted.
Click the Delete button along the top of the list.
On the following page, click the checkbox to confirm that these networks should be permanently deleted. Then click the Delete networks button.
Note: Deleting networks is permanent and irreversible. It cannot be undone by organization administrators or Cisco Meraki support.
For information on creating, deleting, and managing configuration templates, refer to the article on Managing Identical Networks with Configuration Templates.