Prepaid cards enable a network owner to generate pin codes and provide those pin codes to potential users. The network owner can use this as a way to charge users for access without using the Cisco Meraki payment system.
Enabling a Prepaid Card Billing SSID
- Navigate to Wireless > Configure > SSIDs
- Enable / Name the SSID to be used for prepaid card access
- Navigate to Wireless > Configure > Access Control
- Select the prepaid card SSID from the SSID drop down menu
- Under Association Requirements, select Open (no encryption)
- Under Splash Page, select Billing (paid access)
- Under Billing Plans, define the desired billing plans (i.e. $5 for all day)
- This can be an arbitrary value if only using pin numbers for guest access.
- Multiple plan options can be configured, but just have different costs.
- Under Prepaid Cards, choose an option
- Use normal billing page
- No customization of splash page
- Use fast prepaid login page (prepaid cards only)
- Allows for splash page customization
- Use normal billing page
- Under Payment Options, choose an option with prepaid cards.
- Save changes
Generating Prepaid Codes
Note: Prepaid cards cannot be voided. Codes cannot be generated until at least one billing SSID has been enabled. If using a fast prepaid login page, generated codes must be equal in value to one of the configured pricing plans.
- From the Dashboard, click Wireless > Configure > Prepaid cards.
- Click on Create a new batch of prepaid card numbers.
- Enter the face value, quantity, expiration and notes in the proper fields for the new batch of prepaid cards.
- Expiration refers to when the code will expire, not when wireless access will end. After this expiration date, the code can no longer be used.
- Only 1000 pin codes can be created in each batch.
- The Face value must match one of the options configured under Billing plans earlier.
- Click on Create Batch once the batch information is entered.
- If additional batches, of same or different values, are needed, simply repeat steps 2-4 as many times as desired.
NOTE: Prepaid card batches are mapped to the Admin that created them. Upon deletion of that Admin from the Org, the batches created by that admin will be invalidated.
Once a client uses the splash page to enter a pin code, the purchased time period will begin. So if a pin code valid for 1 day (24 hours) of service is entered on the splash page at 1pm, it will expire the following day at 1pm. Pin codes are only valid for one device.
Note: If enabling on an SSID with users already connected using a splash page, they will not be prompted to enter a PIN until their authorization expires. If the SSID never had a splash page, clients will be prompted to enter a PIN code as soon as they try to access a web page.