To access this logging, perform the following steps:
Enabling Developer Mode and USB Debugging
- Navigate to Settings > About or About phone and tap on the Build number entry 7 times.
- Go back one level and select Developer options.
- Enable USB Debugging on this menu.
Accessing USB Debug Logs
Specific processes vary by OS/Device Manufacturer, but it's recommended to search for the phrase "fatal exception."
Note: The processes below can vary based on the computer manufacturer, end device manufacturer, and Android Studio / ADB version. This is meant to be used as a guide but specific variations may be present which might require support from the device manufacturer. It is recommended that, if a device is not recognized by either method mentioned below, the following items are verified.
- USB debugging is enabled
- Try different USB cables including one provided by the device manufacturer (especially important with Samsung devices)
- Multiple ports on the computer (devices may operate differently on different USB versions)
- Most up to date version of Android Studio / ADB
- Most up to date version of device drivers
Via Android Studio
If you'd rather not use command line tools to debug, you can install Android Studio and capture logs with the Android Device Monitor GUI.
- Install Android Studio.
- Launch the program. You may need to create a new empty project to see the monitoring interface.
- Connect the device via USB, and trust the computer signature to begin logging.
- Logs can be copied out of the monitor panel, or saved as described in this article.
- Install the Android SDK
- The easiest way to acquire this is by installing Android Studio, found here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/ins...ing/index.html
- If you don't want to install Android Studio, you can download the Android platform-tools bundle from here: https://developer.android.com/studio...platform-tools
- From there, navigate to the platform-tools folder.
- By default this can be found in the following locations:
- Windows: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools
- macOS: ~/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools
- To access the logging output, run the adb executable with the "logcat" argument:
- Windows: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools> adb logcat
- macOS: $ ./adb logcat
- To save this output for later use (or to share with support), run logcat with the -f option to output the logs to a file:
adb logcat -f c:\temp\androidlogs.log
Or, Pipe this output to a file:
adb logcat > ./androidlogs.log