There are many scenarios that may require the transfer of a license from one Meraki dashboard organization to another. Moving Co-Termination licenses between organizations can only be performed by a member of the Meraki Support team. This article will outline the process and information required when making a Co-Termination license transfer request.
Customers using Per-Device Licensing have the ability to move licenses between other organizations following the Per-Device Licensing model.
Customers using the Co-term licensing model can now move their licenses (without submitting a request with Support).
Please reference Exceptions to see when a license transfer cannot be completed.
Who Can Request a License Transfer?
The full org administrator requesting the transfer must have the same email address on the source and destination organizations.
SAML administrators (assigned a role that grants full organization privileges) may request license transfers, as long as there is a local administrator that meets the above requirements that can be utilized as a "placeholder".
Meraki Support will NOT proceed with a license transfer if it is requested by:
- A read-only organization administrator
- A network administrator
- An administrator who only has sufficient permissions for one of the two involved organizations
- An administrator who manages the source and destination organizations under different accounts (regardless of permissions)
- A SAML administrator (regardless of permissions) if there is no local administrator to act as a placeholder
Information required to proceed with the license transfer:
- The source license key that will be utilized for the transfer (the twelve-digit code in the format "Z2##-####-####")
- The device type(s) and count to be moved to the destination organization
- It is possible to move only a selection of licenses from a full license key
- Name and link for the destination organization
- The requestor's 4-digit administrator support passcode for the source and destination organization
Requesting the License Transfer
Once you have the required information outlined above you are ready to submit the license transfer request. There are two ways to contact support to make a license transfer request:
Cases can be submitted directly within the Dashboard. This option helps Support quickly locate your network and resolve issues more quickly.
To submit a case in Dashboard:
- Log-in to Dashboard.
- Navigate to "?" (top-right on green ribbon) > Get help > Still need help? > Submit an email case.
- Use the provided fields to explain the question or issue. Please include any relevant details.
- Click Submit.
You will receive a confirmation email, and a Support Engineer will get back to you as soon as possible. You can update the case if needed by replying to that email, or visiting the "?" > Get help > View full case history page in Dashboard.
Phone support is available for customers experiencing high impact issues where quick resolution is a top priority.
When contacting Cisco Meraki Support via phone, please have your customer number and support passcode ready. These can both be found at the "?" > Get help > Still need help? > Call the Meraki Support team page.
The general Support number is +1 (415) 937-6671. A full list of region-specific phone numbers can be found in Dashboard under "?" > Get help > Still need help? > Call the Meraki Support team > View regional phone numbers, or on the Meraki Support home page.
Only licenses with individual remaining value can be moved. If the key has expired individually but is being kept alive by co-termination, the license(s) cannot be moved elsewhere.
MX licenses for lower editions cannot be transferred to organizations that have been upgraded to a higher edition. Example: an Enterprise MX license cannot be transferred to an organization that is using Advanced Security. In these situations, please contact Meraki Support discuss alternative solutions.
Licenses can only be transferred between organizations that are following the same licensing model. If one of the organizations is following the co-termination licensing model but the other organization is following the per-device licensing model, a license transfer will not be possible.