The Meraki SM iOS App provides an additional method of enrolling iOS devices into a Systems Manager network. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, and requires iOS 6 or higher. While installing the iOS app is not required to enroll/manage an iOS device, it does provides for additional features not otherwise available. Installing and enabling the SM app currently supports the following additional features:
The SM app can either be downloaded/installed after a device is already enrolled in Systems Manager, or as the initial method of enrolling an iOS device. This Knowledge Base article will discuss both options:
Note: All provided screen shots for Option 1 are as they appear on iOS device itself. Option 2 includes screen shots from both iOS device and Dashboard.
1. Open iTunes App Store and search for "Meraki."
2. Download/install Meraki Systems Manager.
3. Input the Network ID found on Systems Manager > MDM > Add Devices page and select Enroll This Device.
4. Install the Meraki SM management profile.
5. When prompted, select OK to allow for the SM app to report the device's location via GPS. If Don't Allow selected, Systems Manager will use an alternate method of approximating the location.
6. Confirm the device is enrolled in the desired Systems Manager network (name will match SM Network name in Dashboard when tapping on the Enrolled entry)
To add increased functionality, the Meraki SM iOS app can be installed on iOS devices already managed in a SM network. The SM app can either be downloaded manually from each device (follow steps 1-2 from Option 1 above), or deployed via SM like any other iOS app from the Mobile > iOS apps page.
1. Navigate to MDM > Apps page.
2. Select + Add new; then iOS app.
3. Search for 'Meraki' and add "Meraki Systems Manager" app.
4. Configure Scope of deployment and other settings as desired (for information on creating profiles/tags to deploy specific apps to specific devices, please check out this Knowledge Base article).
5. Select Save Changes.
6. When a device within the scope of the SM app's deployment next checks-in with Systems Manager, the device user will be prompted to download/install the Meraki SM iOS app.
7. After downloading the SM app, the app must be opened to sync with the device's current SM network. This sync should be automatic upon launching the app, and the device user should not need to input a Network ID.
8. The Meraki SM app will sync with the SM network tied to the already installed Meraki management profile on the device.
9. The Meraki SM app is now installed and enabled on the iOS device.
Common Troubleshooting Tips:
The Meraki SM iOS app provides for an additional method of enrolling iOS devices in a Systems Manager network. Additionally, the SM app supports increased functionality and features not otherwise available to SM network administrators. For more comprehensive device monitoring, including more accurate location tracking, installing and enabling the Meraki SM app should be considered.